Seeing a distracted driver while you are on the road is becoming a common occurrence. According to Distraction.Gov, 3,331 people were killed in 2011 by distracted drivers. In addition 387,000 people were injured. This equates to 9 people killed and 1,060 people injured per day! Inexperienced drivers under the age of 20 are the most likely to be involved in these crashes. Unfortunately these numbers are only going to increase.
In April I dedicated my blogs to distracted driving. I hope you found the information informative and useful. My goal was to provide information that could keep you and your family safe. Please continue to use the information I shared all year round with your family and friends.
Below is a compilation of links that provides tips on preventing distracted driving, as well as some devices/apps that could be useful for your friends and family.
1. Culture of Safety – The Deadly Consequences of Distracted Driving
2. Culture of Safety – This link provides information on minimizing distracted driving, training tools, a map on texting while driving legislation, and a texting game. I encourage you and your family to play the texting game. It shows just how hard and dangerous it is to drive distracted.
3. Michigan Auto Law – This You Tube video shows how driving distracted is like driving blind.
4. CNN – Anderson Cooper and CNN show what happens when you take your eyes off the road. On average people texting take their eyes off the road for five seconds.
5. Car and Driver and the Driver Rehab team shows people how dangerous distracted driving is. Will they be considered road safe after participating in this program?
6. Mashable.com – Shares five apps that can help prevent texting and driving.
7. Glee Distracted Driving PSA
8. Mashable.com – Shares information on a device that, when mounted in a car, can prevent texting.
Do you have any tips or related information you’d like to share? I’d love to hear from you; please share them in the box below.