Here are some "home security habits" to develop and practice: burglar alarm
- Establish a routine to follow in making certain that doors and windows are locked and the alarm system is turned on.
- Avoid giving information to unidentified telephone callers.
- Avoid announcing your personal address in want ads or public notices (such as giving your address when advertising items for sale).
- Notify police if you see suspicious strangers in your area.
- Handle your keys carefully.
- Don't carry house keys on a key ring bearing your home address.
- Don't leave house keys with your car in a commercial parking lot.
- Don't hide your keys in "secret" places outside your home - burglars usually know where to look.