Stay Safe this Fourth of July
... and keep you and your family safe this year by leaving the fireworks to trained professionals.
Attend the fireworks display in your community rather than hosting your own light show since even sparklers are dangerous, and children are the ones most often injured. If you do choose to buy and light fireworks, please heed this advice:
• Never allow children to touch fireworks of any kind, including sparklers.
• Older teens should only be allowed to use fireworks under close adult supervision.
• Fireworks must never be used while drinking alcohol or using other drugs.
• Obey all local laws.
• If allowed in your area and you choose to do so, buy fireworks only from reliable sellers.
• Store fireworks in a dry, cool place.
• Only use fireworks outdoors and always have a good amount of water close by (a garden hose and a bucket), in case of emergency.
• Read and follow label directions.
• Light only one firework at a time.
• Never hold any part of your body directly over the firework while lighting it.
• Be sure all other people are out of range before lighting fireworks.
• Never throw or point fireworks at anyone.
• Never light fireworks in a container, especially a metal or glass container.
• Never light fireworks near a house or building, dry leaves or grass, or any other materials that can catch on fire.
• Never re-light a "dud" firework. Instead, wait 15 to 20 minutes, then soak it in a bucket of water and throw it away.
Information contained in this article was adapted from the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.