Does your warehouse struggle with inventory upkeep? Or, have there been times when product has been misplaced due to lack of organization? With new products coming in, orders going out, and multiple people pulling product, it’s hard to maintain an accurate inventory. Here are a few tips to increase accuracy and improve organization within your warehouse.
- Make sure employees who work directly in your warehouse are easily identifiable with uniforms or colored t-shirts. Often, employees who don’t work directly in the warehouse (customer service or sales) don’t understand warehouse organization and pick or move product without knowing they could be messing up inventory. Uniforms or colored t-shirts will make non-warehouse employees much easier to spot.
- Make sure everything is clearly labeled. With tons of inventory going in and out and multiple employees working on moving inventory, labels can help keep products in their proper locations.
- If there are products that sell faster than others, make sure these products are in easily accessible areas. There’s no reason a top-selling item should be on the very top shelf or in a back corner when it’s being picked daily.
- Make sure there’s plenty of working space so employees can easily move around. Ensure those working in receiving have plenty of room to properly manage inventory coming in.
- Have a clear warehouse organization system help people easily locate items in your warehouse. This minimizes questions about product location. If everyone knows where items are meant to be from the start, it can eliminate confusion and increase the overall organization. It’ll also help any newer employees learn the layout of the warehouse faster.
Keep an open mind and always be receptive to new organizational ideas and suggestions. The workers in your warehouse know what works and what doesn’t when it comes to organization. Listen to their ideas and be willing to change to increase productivity and organization.