Colder temperatures are here, so many of us will begin using our fireplaces. There’s nothing more relaxing than settling in front of a warm fire with a good book on a chilly fall night. However, before you light your first fire for the season, you should have your fireplace inspected. A proper inspection will identify potential defects, as well as creosote buildup.
Creosote is a black residue that travels up the chimney and builds up on the flue whenever you light a fire. Many consider a creosote fire in the chimney one of the most dangerous because it can spread quickly, severely damaging or destroying your entire home within minutes.
The infographic includes:
- Statistics on heating fires;
- The time of day heating fires typically occur; and
- Eight tips to prevent residential fires.
Here are links to blogs I wrote last year. The first blog includes more information about creosote buildup and what contributes to that buildup. The second blog has tips for hiring a reputable chimney sweep in your community.
Do you have any suggestions or information you’d like to share? I’d love to hear from you. Please share them in the box below.