A car accident can be scary for a driver of any age. Staying calm afterwards can benefit everyone involved and can make a difficult situation easier.
Here are some tips to help you and your family if you’re involved in a minor accident.
1. If you’re not injured after an accident, take a moment to take some deep breaths to relax. Check your surroundings before exiting your car to make sure it’s safe.
2. Call the police immediately.
3. Move cars on the side of the road to a safe location.
4. Only discuss accident details with police or an insurance company representative.
5. Don’t admit fault. You may be entirely blameless.
6. If you can, get:
- Identification information from everybody involved;
- Insurance information from owners of other vehicles; and
- Make, model, and license number of all vehicles involved.
7. If you’re able to do so safely, take photos of the accident scene and damage before the vehicles are towed.
If you’re a West Bend policyholder, you can call us direct or use our app to report a claim. Here are a few reasons why you should:
1. It will get the claim process started right away. In some cases, you can speak directly to the West Bend claim representative who will be handling your claim.
2. West Bend can make arrangements for rental cars if needed.
3. West Bend can provide immediate help with moving vehicles or approving estimates for repairs the first time we talk to you. This means repairs may begin sooner.
4. Immediate reporting ensures information is accurate and complete. When we can get the facts directly from the people involved, it ensures we have the facts straight from the start, eliminating delays and unnecessary repetition.
Do you have any tips or information you’d like to share? I’d love to hear from you. Please share them in the box below.
This article is intended for general educational and illustrative purposes only and should not be construed to communicate legal or professional advice. Further, this article is not an offer to sell insurance. Please consult with your licensed insurance agent for specific coverage details and your insurance eligibility. All policies are subject to the terms, conditions, limitations, definitions, and exclusions contained therein.