More and more employers are creating wellness programs to encourage healthier lifestyles, reduce work-related stress, injuries, and absenteeism, and increase productivity. According to 2018 survey data on Statista, 79 percent of employees believed their company’s wellness program had a positive impact on worker’s health, while 77 percent believed such programs had a positive impact on productivity and performance. Here are some things you can do to promote wellness in your accounting office.
- Host lunch and learns featuring experts on topics like nutrition, healthy meal preparation, the benefits of exercise, and the importance of stretching during the day.
- Offer standing desks to provide a break to employees who use their computers most of the day. Check out our Sitting is the New Smoking blog for more health benefits of standing desks.
- Hold walking meetings to get creativity flowing while helping employees get their steps in for the day.
- Work with a local gym or YMCA to create a discount program for employees and their families.
- Remind employees what your Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offers for physical and mental health and wellness.
- Create fun wellness challenges each month to get people up and moving. Consider a walking or running program tied to a company goal, sponsor your employees in a 5k, or host a healthy lunch cookoff where employees vote for the tastiest meal.
- Research and print out healthy recipes to share in the breakroom or kitchen.
- Offer chair massages once a month.
- Bring in healthy snacks each month to celebrate your employees’ birthdays.